Saturday, June 20, 2020

The Praise You Gave Yourself


Scorched, twisted, bent out of frame
Deluded, lacerated, whose to blame
Out of the darkness you do shine
Oh hail, my friend the sweet taste of wine
With it my power, is only just a myth
Without it I sour, Lord take from me this gift
Can you say forever, without saying never?
Will you boast all day, until I admit you’re clever?
Careful are the days that are weighed without shame
Beautiful are the ways, that are only just the same
Harrowed you fight, only seeking grace
Troubled yet right, see the look on your face
If not but pleasure, will you tell me my fate
Torture me forever, I am a selfish ingrate
Worse are the pearls cast before the swine
Look at the treasure eluding you so fine
You say you have doubts but do you remember
How to fight the cold in the drear December
No one knows who played the right battle
All that is known is who was in the saddle
So heed my word, you darkened knave
Take my words to your empty grave
Leave the lost where they were found
Tie the fable to where it was bound
Hope to not cause too much distress
Maybe this will cause you to confess
And so you run, when nobler men stood
Forever living from a heart made of wood
As times wear on, you must profess
A love whose very name is blessed.
And so you seek to praise yourself true
Claiming every shade, every color, every hue
You don’t know that you are lost
You pay the price without knowing the cost
Simple are you in mind
Hope that you don’t seem unkind
Live without laughter, that’s the key
Or have you found the remedy?
A promise that was made
A shadow in the shade
Do you even recall
The most haunting fragment of all
Or do you finally simple choose
To live a life only you can lose

No comments:

Post a Comment